So far I have only had two experiences with nuns. Oddly enough you don't see too many of them. Lots of churches (well for Spain lots equals about one in every suburb) and not too many nuns. Well one experience I had but really I did was with the cloistered nuns.
There are these nuns who live in their nunnery/abbey, whatever it is, and they never come out. "Seyhan, what do you mean they never come out?" They never come out. They have no contact with the outside world. Crazy I know. No one goes in and no one comes out. But they do sell candy coated almonds. These are no ordinary almonds. They are famous and known all throughout, Alcala if nowhere else {Alcala is a very old historic part of Madrid it is where European University began.}.
"But Seyhan, they don't have contact with 'outsiders'. How do they sell their delicious almonds delights???" Well this is how it works. Imagine if you will a fortress type wall (or just a really tall stone wall if you are not able to expand you brain power at the time of reading this note) and within that wall there are a set of wooden carved double doors. You walk through the doors into an 11x11 foot room covered in beautiful Moorish mosaic tiles. you turn to your left and there is a small wooden cupboard and above it is a rather large display case filled with boxes of various sizes and shapes each with their prices placed in front (of course the prices are in euros...stupid euro). You first select the box you want and then you say it aloud. The nun then turns the wooden cupboard (it is rounded and so it swivels like a cupboard on a lazy susan) you put your money on the shelf and then she swivels it back around takes the sweet moolah and then she places your nuts on the shelf and swivels it back around. You take your nuts and she swivels the cupboard back in its place. And that is how you buy nuts from a cloistered nun.
Now my opinion on this is a little harsh and well I have to state two things I may be ignorant to the in depth facts and I am a writing this at 1 AM my time. However, I think this whole cloistered thing is stupid. You cut yourself off from others and that is supposed to make you closer to God. Of course everyone should have time away from distractions so that they can spend time alone with God, focus on Him, and listen to what He has to say to them. But for your entire life to go off and have no contact with others. How is that benefiting the kingdom of God. How could not witnessing, sharing, loving, or whatever with everyday people the love that Jesus has given us make a person more holy. I don't see how this would benefit anyone. Besides being trapped behind a stone wall with the same women for the rest of my life seems inhumane. Also who would ever know if a crime were committed there. No one goes in and no one goes out. Ooooo I should turn that into a book Cloistered Nun Crimes . Alright enough of my rubbish moving on.
My first encounter with a nun was much more positive. I was upset at the airline that they didn't give me the seats I wanted but they ended up being better in for several reasons. One being as follows. I noticed her in the sitting room near our gate. I was in Amsterdam, Netherlands airport. I didn't pay her much mind. She was a nun in a traditional habik (I can't spell I know). But when I noticed that she had the window seat and I the middle and no one was in the aisle seat I was relieved. I was dreading I was going to be stuck between two men particularly two of the group of creepy ones who kept staring at the women.
She was a wonderful woman, Sister Beatrice Alvarez. She is originally from Colombia, a U.S. citizen, and she resides in an abbey in Madrid except for when she works in the small village in Africa. She was nothing but encouraging for me. We talked about her recent travel and how they village had just put in a well and what the children were learning in their new school and I told her about what I was going to be doing. When I looked at her I saw the love of Christ in her eyes. We talked the whole trip. The two hour ride to Madrid felt like twenty minutes. The only indicator that we were taking off or landing is when she would cross herself. But because she is a nun I will never have contact with her again. Friends from the outside are difficult for them to keep. We gave besos when we picked up our luggage and that was it.
There are these nuns who live in their nunnery/abbey, whatever it is, and they never come out. "Seyhan, what do you mean they never come out?" They never come out. They have no contact with the outside world. Crazy I know. No one goes in and no one comes out. But they do sell candy coated almonds. These are no ordinary almonds. They are famous and known all throughout, Alcala if nowhere else {Alcala is a very old historic part of Madrid it is where European University began.}.
"But Seyhan, they don't have contact with 'outsiders'. How do they sell their delicious almonds delights???" Well this is how it works. Imagine if you will a fortress type wall (or just a really tall stone wall if you are not able to expand you brain power at the time of reading this note) and within that wall there are a set of wooden carved double doors. You walk through the doors into an 11x11 foot room covered in beautiful Moorish mosaic tiles. you turn to your left and there is a small wooden cupboard and above it is a rather large display case filled with boxes of various sizes and shapes each with their prices placed in front (of course the prices are in euros...stupid euro). You first select the box you want and then you say it aloud. The nun then turns the wooden cupboard (it is rounded and so it swivels like a cupboard on a lazy susan) you put your money on the shelf and then she swivels it back around takes the sweet moolah and then she places your nuts on the shelf and swivels it back around. You take your nuts and she swivels the cupboard back in its place. And that is how you buy nuts from a cloistered nun.
Now my opinion on this is a little harsh and well I have to state two things I may be ignorant to the in depth facts and I am a writing this at 1 AM my time. However, I think this whole cloistered thing is stupid. You cut yourself off from others and that is supposed to make you closer to God. Of course everyone should have time away from distractions so that they can spend time alone with God, focus on Him, and listen to what He has to say to them. But for your entire life to go off and have no contact with others. How is that benefiting the kingdom of God. How could not witnessing, sharing, loving, or whatever with everyday people the love that Jesus has given us make a person more holy. I don't see how this would benefit anyone. Besides being trapped behind a stone wall with the same women for the rest of my life seems inhumane. Also who would ever know if a crime were committed there. No one goes in and no one goes out. Ooooo I should turn that into a book Cloistered Nun Crimes . Alright enough of my rubbish moving on.
My first encounter with a nun was much more positive. I was upset at the airline that they didn't give me the seats I wanted but they ended up being better in for several reasons. One being as follows. I noticed her in the sitting room near our gate. I was in Amsterdam, Netherlands airport. I didn't pay her much mind. She was a nun in a traditional habik (I can't spell I know). But when I noticed that she had the window seat and I the middle and no one was in the aisle seat I was relieved. I was dreading I was going to be stuck between two men particularly two of the group of creepy ones who kept staring at the women.
She was a wonderful woman, Sister Beatrice Alvarez. She is originally from Colombia, a U.S. citizen, and she resides in an abbey in Madrid except for when she works in the small village in Africa. She was nothing but encouraging for me. We talked about her recent travel and how they village had just put in a well and what the children were learning in their new school and I told her about what I was going to be doing. When I looked at her I saw the love of Christ in her eyes. We talked the whole trip. The two hour ride to Madrid felt like twenty minutes. The only indicator that we were taking off or landing is when she would cross herself. But because she is a nun I will never have contact with her again. Friends from the outside are difficult for them to keep. We gave besos when we picked up our luggage and that was it.
No comments:
Post a Comment